home | sitemap
POLS 8790: THE POLARIZATION OF AMERICAN POLITICS
Spring Semester AY2011-2012
Department of Political Science
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, 30602-1615
Classroom: Baldwin 302
Time: 3:35 - 6:35PM Wednesdays
Instructor: Keith T. Poole
Room 304D Baldwin Hall
WebSite: Voteview Home Page
Office Hours: Thursday 3:00 - 5:00PM
The following texts
will be used in this course:
- Morris P. Fiorina. 2011. Culture War?
- Gary C. Jacobson. 2011. A Divider, Not a Uniter
- Nolan McCarty, Keith T. Poole, and Howard Rosenthal. 2006. Polarized America
- Eric Hoffer. 1951 (2002). The True Believer
- Thomas Sowell. 1987 (2007). A Conflict of Visions
- John Gerring. 1998. Party Ideologies in America, 1828 - 1996
- Timothy Snyder. 2010. Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin
Grades will be determined by a series of 4 short (10 double-spaced pages or less)
required papers evaluating the readings. The papers will be due approximately every 3-4 weeks.
The Nature of Belief Systems
Introduction: Defining the Subject Matter
- The True Believer
- Federalist Number 10 (Annotated)
- Is History A Fraud?, in
The Inequality of Man, J. B. S. Haldane, London: Pelican Books, 2nd edition, 1937.
- Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin, by Timothy Snyder. New York: Basic Books, 2010.
Overview: American Politics, 1879 - 1947
- Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar, by Simon Sebag Montefiore. New York: Vintage, 2003.
- The Black Book of Communism, by Mark Kramer, Jonathan Murphy, Stephane Courtois, and Jean-Louis Panne.
Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1999.
Income Inequality and Political Polarization
- Chapters 1 and 2, Polarized America
- Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Party Ideologies in America, 1828 - 1996
Political Polarization After 1990
- "The Polarization
of American Politics,"
by Keith T. Poole and Howard Rosenthal, Journal of Politics, 46 (Nov.): 1061-1079, 1984.
- Chapters 3 and 4, Polarized America
- Chapter 8, Party Ideologies in America, 1828 - 1996
Political Polarization After 2000
- "The Relationship
Between Information, Ideology, and Voting Behavior,"
by Thomas R. Palfrey and Keith T. Poole, American Journal of Political Science, 31 (August):511-530, 1987.
- A Divider, Not a Uniter
- "Does Gerrymandering Cause Polarization?,"
by Nolan M. McCarty, Keith T. Poole and Howard Rosenthal, American Journal of Political Science,
53 (July):666-680, 2009.
The Public Policy Consequences of Political Polarization
- The Disappearing Center: Engaged Citizens, Polarization, and American Democracy, by
Alan I. Abramowitz.
New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2010.
- Disconnect: The Breakdown of Representation in American Politics, by Morris P. Fiorina.
Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2009.
- Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State, by Andrew Gelman et al. Princeton, NJ:
Princeton University Press, 2010 (expanded edition).
- Party Polarization in Congress, by Sean Theriault. New York:
- The Big Sort, by Bill Bishop. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2008.
- Chapters 6 and 7, Polarized America
- "The Price of Light,"
by William Nordhaus. Working Paper, 1994.
- The Evolving Structure of the American Economy and the Employment
Challenge, Michael Spence and Sandile Hlatshwayo, 2011, Council on Foreign Relations
- The American High School Graduation Rate: Trends and Levels, James J.
Heckman and Paul A LaFontaine, 2007, IZA DP No. 3216, IZA, Bonn, Germany.
- "Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006,"
by Thomas Philippon and Ariell Reshef. Working Paper 14644, 2009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge,
- Political Bubbles, by Nolan M. McCarty, Keith T. Poole,
and Howard Rosenthal (forthcoming)
NOMINATE Data, Roll Call Data, and Software
Course Web Pages: UGA (2010 - )
Course Web Pages: UC San Diego (2004 - 2010)
University of San Diego Law School (2005)
Course Web Pages: University of Houston (2000 - 2005)
Course Web Pages: Carnegie-Mellon University (1997 - 2000)
Spatial Models of Parliamentary Voting
Recent Working Papers
Analyses of Recent Politics
About This Website
K7MOA Log Books: 1960 - 2012
Bio of Keith T. Poole